Codeine Addiction Treatment Center
Codeine addiction is an opioid use disorder characterized by an inability to control the use of codeine, a development of tolerance, and withdrawal symptoms when not using it. Anyone who misuses codeine or codeine combination products is at risk of developing an addiction, and the risk increases with greater misuse. Codeine addiction can lead to a fatal opioid overdose, which can be treated and reversed if addressed immediately. Treatment for the addiction should include a combination of therapy and appropriate medications.
What Is Codeine Addiction?
Codeine is a narcotic opioid drug, available only by prescription. It is used to manage pain and coughing, but as an opioid it also causes euphoria and is habit forming. An addiction to codeine is an opioid use disorder and is characterized by misuse of the drug, inability to control use of it, a buildup of tolerance to codeine, and withdrawal symptoms when not using it, among other potential symptoms.
Addiction to any substance is a serious condition that needs to be diagnosed and treated. Opioid and codeine use disorder can cause or exacerbate physical and mental health conditions. It impairs function in normal activities and responsibilities. Treatment can help restore function, improve health, and lead to abstinence and recovery.
Codeine Addiction Facts and Statistics
Codeine is an analgesic (painkiller) and antitussive (cough relief and prevention). It is available only by prescription, often in combination with other drugs.
- Codeine is a natural substance that is found in the opium poppy, along with morphine.
- As an opioid, it belongs to the same class of drugs as heroin, oxycodone, and hydrocodone.
- According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse in 2019, nearly 50,000 people in the U.S. died from opioid-involved overdoses.
- The National Institute on Drug Abuse states that roughly 21% – 29% of patients prescribed opioids for chronic pain misuse them.
- Pure codeine is a schedule II controlled substance because it has a high potential for abuse, is habit-forming, and can cause severe dependence.
- Prescriptions for pain that combine codeine with Tylenol (Tylenol 3) or aspirin are schedule III controlled substances. They contain less than 90 milligrams of codeine per dose but still have a potential for abuse.
- Prescription cough syrups, like Robitussin AC, that contain less than 200 milligrams per dose of 100 milliliters are schedule V controlled substances.
- According to research, there are two mental illnesses that most commonly occur with opioid use disorders: depression and antisocial personality disorder. Anxiety disorders are also common, as is post-traumatic stress disorder.
Effective World-Class Treatment for Codeine Addiction at Alta Mira
Residential treatment is the best option for someone struggling with codeine addiction. At our luxury codeine addiction treatment center, clients have 24-hour supervision and care as well as the support of staff and other clients. There is also access to a range of services, including holistic and experiential therapies, nutrition and exercise, recreation, lifestyle changes, and relapse prevention.
Codeine addiction is a very serious medical condition and brain disease that can have lasting consequences, from ongoing mental health issues to legal problems and broken relationships, and even death. Overdose is a real risk of any degree of misuse of codeine and it can easily be fatal. If you or someone you love is struggling to stop using codeine, our codeine rehab provides:
- Medically-supervised detox
- Individual counseling and therapy
- Group/Peer-based therapy
- Family therapy
- Educational programs
- Holistic healing practices (yoga, biofeedback, meditation, massage therapy, etc.)
- Experiential activities
- Life skills and coping skills courses and workshops
- Fitness and nutrition programs
- Relapse prevention training and instruction
Our codeine addiction treatment specialists offer the very best evidence-based therapies at every stage of your recovery, and one of their primary objectives will be to help you identify triggers and other circumstances that might make you vulnerable to relapse. Psychiatric troubles are at the root of many drug abuse problems, and our treatment plans are always customized to provide intervention for any and all mental and behavioral health issues that may be at the root of or co-occurring with your addiction(s).
Signs and Symptoms of Codeine Addiction
Any misuse of codeine or codeine combination drugs can lead to a substance use disorder. Misuse includes using someone else’s prescription, taking more than is prescribed, or taking the drug longer or more frequently than prescribed. Signs that someone may be abusing and developing an addiction to codeine include:
- Misusing codeine prescriptions
- Lying about the use of prescriptions
- Shopping multiple doctors for more prescriptions
- Sudden mood swings, from euphoria to agitation or aggression
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Poor coordination
- Difficulty with memory and paying attention
- Constricted pupils
Misuse of codeine does not always lead to a substance use disorder, but the risk is high and increases with ongoing use. Here are some signs that someone may have developed a codeine addiction:
- Losing the ability to control the use of codeine, being unable to stop or slow down use
- Spending a lot of time using, recovering from, or getting codeine
- Craving the drug
- Failing to keep up with responsibilities and giving up activities because of codeine use
- Continuing to use codeine even when it causes relationship difficulties or health problems
- Using the drug in harmful situations
- Having a tolerance to the drug, meaning more is needed to get the same effect
- Experiencing withdrawal when not using codeine
Get Help for Drug Addiction
Alta Mira is a Safe Place to Get Your Life on Track
Causes and Risk Factors of Codeine Addiction
What causes a person to become addicted to a drug like codeine is not well understood. There are likely to be a number of factors that contribute both to misuse of a drug and the development of a substance use disorder that are complex and interact with each other. There are, however, some known risk factors that make it more likely an individual will develop this addition, in addition to misuse of codeine:
- Being a teenager or young adult in their 20s
- Experiencing stressful life circumstances
- Having personal history or a family history of substance abuse and addiction
- Having access to prescription opioids and codeine and being in contact with people who misuse them
- Having a history of engaging in risky behaviors
- Having a mental illness, especially severe anxiety or depression
Knowing When It's Time for Codeine Addiction Treatment
Getting help for codeine addiction is vital. But making that first step toward this important and potentially life-transforming move can be challenging for anyone who has tried to manage addiction on their own. Residential treatment for codeine abuse is most effective because it allows an individual to focus on treatment for an extended period of time while learning the necessary skills for returning home and avoiding a relapse. Codeine addiction treatment is tailored to each individual and typically includes:
- One-on-one behavioral therapy
- Group therapy and peer support
- Educational programs
- Family therapy
- Experiential and holistic therapies
- Intensive workshops
- Relaxation strategies and stress management
- Learning how to avoid relapses
Relapse prevention is an important part of treatment and includes learning what triggers prescription drug use, how to avoid triggers, lifestyle changes, and learning and using healthy coping strategies.
We understand that in order for codeine addiction rehab to be successful, we must listen closely and truly understand your needs, aspirations, personal history, and treatment goals. All members of our care team align closely with you so that you feel safe, respected, and ready to do your work. With this approach, Alta Mira co-creates a profound healing experience with you so you can achieve your recovery goals and reclaim your life.
How to Help a Loved One Get Treatment for Abusing Codeine
Addiction to codeine is not a choice nor a sign of weakness. It is a condition of the brain that can respond to targeted treatment. When your loved one comes to Alta Mira, they will finally have a chance to be free from the debilitating effects of codeine addiction.
While you can have an influence on your loved one’s decision to seek treatment, an individual struggling with codeine addiction must take ultimate responsibility for their own recovery. Your support and encouragement may be what will finally convince them to seek help for their struggles with codeine.
- The Challenge. Helping a loved one who is struggling with codeine can be a long and heartbreaking journey. It can be hard to help someone, particularly if they don’t want help or if they live far away. Many families wait years beyond the time that they first thought about intervening.
- Get Help for Yourself. If you have a loved one who is suffering from codeine addiction, one of the first things you can do is take care of yourself by attending peer support meetings like Nar-Anon.
- Consider an Interventionist. The longer you wait for someone to “hit bottom,” the more their disease advances. You can actually increase the chance of a successful outcome by intervening with your loved one before their disease progresses to a more dangerous level. However, organizing your family to set limits and boundaries to get a loved one into rehab can be challenging.
Hiring a professional interventionist can help the family get organized as a team, prepare to speak to the addict in a coordinated way, to give your loved one the best possible chance of successfully arriving in treatment. Interventionists can also be helpful during and after the treatment experience, providing support and coaching to the family to ensure that the patient completes treatment. If you are considering an intervention, our admissions team can also help you with this process.
How Our Luxury Codeine Treatment Center Transforms Lives
Residential treatment for codeine addiction is the best option for you or your loved one. Our luxury codeine rehab is designed for a safe detox and successful recovery from addiction. During treatment, we’ll provide you with an array of tools to guide your codeine recovery, such as a personalized treatment plan, holistic and alternative therapies, group therapy, family therapy, life skills training, and help with exercise and nutrition. During your stay at Alta Mira, you’ll have an individualized treatment plan tailored to your specific needs. This will include comprehensive services for any co-occurring conditions that might be complicating or supporting your codeine addiction.
Our Transformational Codeine Addiction Treatment Program
Your first 30 days of treatment at Alta Mira is referred to as your Detox, Stabilization, Assessment period, which begins with private, medically supervised detox. During this time, our detox specialists will keep you safe and secure, monitored 24/7, as you rest in the privacy of your own room.
You can also expect:
- Weekly meetings with a psychiatrist
- Weekly meetings with a medical doctor
- Neuropsychological testing and advanced psychological testing
- Orientation to our recovery fundamentals and self-regulation skills development
- In-depth family engagement and the option for loved ones to attend multiple 4-day family programs
- Introduction to therapy groups
Following 30 days of stabilization, clients move on to the next phase of their recovery process at Alta Mira, which we call our Transformational Program. Key elements of our complete 90-day transformational codeine rehab program include:
- Three individual intensive psychotherapy sessions per week
- Weekly meetings with a medical doctor
- Participation in advanced workshops to support introspection, foundational change toward recovery, and relapse prevention
- Expanded neuropsychological assessment and continued weekly psychiatrist meetings inform tailored treatment adjustments and a refined individualized clinical approach
- Practice and integration of recovery principles and self-regulation skills and continued family work to support improved individual outcomes
- Intensive Workshops
The Courage to Change
Lasting change takes time. It can take six weeks to change a simple habit. Changing behavior following codeine addiction can be very challenging. Learning how to develop clean and sober behaviors, effectively deal with triggers and stressors, take medication as prescribed, and make healthy lifestyle changes to support long-term recovery can take time.
Better Codeine Addiction Treatment Outcomes
Our 90-day program provides the structure, support, and time to learn a new way of living to give clients the best possible outcome. Studies show that individuals should participate in codeine treatment for at least 90 days to see the best results. However, the best indicator of success is not the duration of the program, but the mutual cooperation between the recovering addict and the treatment center, as they plan for continuing care after finishing the program.
We understand that in order for treatment to be successful, we must listen closely and truly understand your needs, aspirations, personal history, and treatment goals. All members of our care team align closely with you so that you feel safe, respected, and ready to do your work. With this approach, Alta Mira co-creates a profound healing experience with you so you can achieve your recovery goals and reclaim your life.
Reclaim Your Life at Our Private Codeine Rehab Center Today
We believe individuals are best able to focus on their recovery when immersed in a secure, serene, healing setting. That’s why we provide comfortable surroundings while maintaining the most advanced and sophisticated codeine rehab in Northern California. Clients can expect compassionate care from our best-in-class codeine addiction specialists.
Seeking a helping hand to guide you through these difficult times is not an easy decision. Our caring and experienced team at Alta Mira can help guide you through the next steps toward achieving lasting recovery.
Don’t let codeine control your life. To begin your life-changing transformation, contact us today.