Co-Occurring Disorders and Substance Abuse Treatment
A co-occurring disorder, often referred to as a dual diagnosis, is when a patient has a substance use disorder occurring with a mental health disorder such as depression, anxiety, or a personality disorder. Alta Mira is the premier residential facility for drug and alcohol addiction and co-occurring disorders treatment and recovery, using an integrated and holistic approach.
Integrated Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders
Merely treating the symptoms of addiction is not enough. The best and most effective co-occurring disorders treatment for anyone struggling with a dual diagnosis involves treating all existing conditions concurrently.
Through our comprehensive assessments and evaluations, we get to the right diagnosis. This enables us to address underlying mental health disorders in conjunction with addiction treatment, so that you find a smoother and more manageable path to sobriety and recovery.
Integrated treatment for co-occurring disorders and addiction leads to a higher success rate in maintaining sobriety long-term and avoiding relapses. At Alta Mira, we create an individualized treatment plan that best works for your specific diagnosis. By combining treatment methods into a customized, comprehensive program for each patient, we have better outcomes.
At Alta Mira, we provide you an opportunity to consider the exact role alcohol and drugs play in your life, and how it has affected you and your lived ones. You will play an active part in your personal recovery as you gain awareness of underlying symptoms of your addiction. And we will help you identify relapse triggers and develop a continuing care plan to maintain your sobriety.
Most Common Co-Occurring Disorders With Substance Abuse
It also may be possible that having a mental illness triggers substance abuse. Individuals who suffer with mental illness symptoms may turn to prescription or illicit drugs to self-medicate. It is an unhealthy but fairly common type of coping mechanism.
Any combination of addiction and mental illness is possible, but there are some co-occurring disorders with substance abuse that are more common, including:
Begin Your Recovery Journey Today866-922-1350
More Co-Occurring Disorders and Addiction
Diagnosing patients who are living with co-occurring addiction and mental health disorders can be complicated. There are many overlapping symptoms and symptoms that are changed or affected by one condition or the other. Additional co-occurring disorders we treat at Alta Mira, include:
- Anxiety and Addiction
- Nervous Breakdown and Addiction
- OCD and Addiction
- Stress Disorder and Addiction
- Panic Disorder and Addiction
- Social Anxiety and Addiction
- Social Phobias and Addiction
- Borderline Personality Disorder and Addiction
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder and Addiction
- Avoidant Personality Disorder and Addiction
- Alzheimer’s Disease and Addiction
- Adjustment Disorder and Addiction
- Diogenes Syndrome and Addiction
- Hypochondria and Addiction
Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment and Prognosis
Integrated co-occurring disorder treatment is based on the idea that it is necessary to address all conditions a person is struggling with concurrently rather than treating one at a time.
Treatment begins with detox, but this is only the first step in what should be a long-term plan. At Alta Mira, we employ a wide range of therapy options, including behavioral therapies, trauma-focused therapies, family and relational therapy, and group therapy.
Medications and therapy while in inpatient treatment for co-occurring disorders are the foundation for patients with co-occurring disorders, but clients also need to learn the tools for preventing drug or alcohol relapses once out of intensive treatment. Your treatment program will include plans for relapse prevention, including healthy lifestyle habits, positive stress reduction strategies, trigger avoidance, ongoing social support, and good self-care.
Co-occurring disorders are complex, but when treatment is implemented for all conditions, the outlook is good. At Alta Mira, you will get the care needed to live a normal, functioning life.
Alta Mira Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment Center
At Alta Mira, we specialize in co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders treatment. We provide safe, compassionate care in a serene residential setting where clients can focus on their treatment and recovery from opiate addiction without the worries of external pressures and stressors.
- Comprehensive Neuropsychological Testing and Assessment. We properly diagnose and treat an extensive range of illnesses and disorders that may be contributing to you or your loved one’s addiction.
- World-Class Clinical Staff. Our expert clinical team provides individual therapy using proven evidence-based treatment modalities for co-occurring disorders treatment.
- Individualized Treatment Plans. After our thorough assessments, we create a truly individualized treatment plan that offers profound healing and strategies for overcoming the toughest obstacles.
- Luxurious Private Location. We are located in a beautiful, historic setting with panoramic views, lovely gardens, and casual elegance in the San Francisco Bay area. Our amenities and activities help our clients reconnect with body, nurture their spirit, and reignite a sense of fun and adventure.
If you’re ready to learn more about our co-occurring disorders and substance abuse treatment programs, please contact us today.